Becoming Worry Free
“Worrying is like rocking in a rocking chair… it gives you something to do, but doesn’t get you anywhere.” –Erma Bombeck
The above quote is one that someone told me many years ago and has stuck with me into my adult life. The fascinating thing about worrying is that it can actually be helpful in small amounts. In some cases a little bit of worry may spark action in us. It can help motivate us to solve a problem, or complete a less desirable task in a timely manner. However, if the worrying thoughts start to take over, and we become preoccupied with “what ifs” and worst-case scenarios; then perhaps the worry has become a serious problem.
There is a wide variety of reasons that one might worry; and, consequently, a long list of health related issues that may be created by excessive worrying. Fortunately, there are many things that a person who is being consumed by these thoughts can do to lessen them and thereby the anxiety they produce. The following list describes the 11 habits of people who do not worry.
11 habits of people who never worry:
• They focus on the present.
• They practice mindfulness.
• Their brains continue to function well during worry-inducing events.
• They are more willing to take chances.
• They have a sense of perspective.
• They get to the root of the worry.
• They don’t actually stop worrying. They just designate time for it.
• They have confidence that they can handle whatever comes at them.
• They have the ability to imagine positive outcomes in seemingly bleak situations.
• They ask themselves the right questions (to work through what’s happening).
• They are able to tolerate their negative emotions.
Unfortunately worrying is something that everyone has to deal with from time to time. No one is ever lucky enough to go through life without major stressors popping up now and again. That being said, allowing worry to devour our time is a choice. Accepting that there are exercises we can do to reduce our stress, and decrease our anxiety is the first step in moving past the worry. If you feel that you life is being consumed with worry and you would benefit from speaking with a trained counselor, please contact Life Enhancement Counseling Services in Orlando at 407-443-8862 and schedule your appointment today.