The End of Summer
June came around as an exciting time for a majority of children looking forward to summer vacation. The idea of no more school, no more homework, no more tests, no more waking up early… Just do whatever, whenever. Your child might have enjoyed this time to sleep in, be lazy, go to the pool, play with friends, play with the dog, or become very bored because, “There is nothing to do…!” But, this long awaited summer vacation is coming to an end. August is here and school is about to start.
Beginning the back to school routine can be hectic and very overwhelming, but it is also a great time to incorporate new activities to your day. One very important and highly beneficial activity is to begin to read with your child, if you haven’t already done so. It is recommended to start reading to your child as an infant because it helps with learning through the stimulation and introduction of new vocabulary. Some of the benefits of reading with your child are:
- Reading has a calming effect on children
- Reading is linked to higher success through the school years
- Reading stimulates creativity and imagination
- Reading is better at stimulating the brain than watching television or playing video games
- Reading with a child helps increase the parent-child bond and helps parents be good role models
- Reading can teach children new things about themselves and the world around them
The calming effect that reading has on children can be the best tool to going back to school. In focusing attention on that, you might just realize that you have a creative genius in your hands.
If you find that going back to school is becoming very stressful for you or your child, if you find that the change of routine is not going as smooth as it should be going, please contact Life Enhancement Counseling Services today at 407-443-8862 to schedule an appointment with one of our Orlando mental health counselors.